Thursday, September 2, 2010

Classes and Strikes

Well, I just ended the fourth week of classes here in Santiago and I am enjoying them as much as it is possible to enjoy a class. I am taking four classes; Español and Derechos Humanos (Human Rights) with my program, and Latin American politics and Chilean Culture at the Universidad de Chile (or, as it is called here, “la U”). There is definitely a different style of teaching here in Chile and a different atmosphere at the University. My classes at the IES center are with all other gringos and are very small, about 7-8 people in each class. These classes are pretty similar to classes at a University in the US, but there are more group project assignments than I am used to. The classes at U Chile are very different. The professors usually come in and start talking about the topic for the day without any powerpoint or notes written on the board. There is not a specific lesson plan that the students have so it is pretty much the teacher talking about his subject however he wants to. There is also the issue of strikes. Whenever the students don’t like a policy that the university or government is doing, they go on strike, which means that they don’t come to class. My first experience with a strike was last week, when I showed up to Latin American politics on Thursday and there were 4 other gringos waiting for class. We asked someone what was going on and learned that the students (Chilean students at least) were on strike and the professor wouldn’t be coming today. The professors here about the strikes from their students and then decide whether or not they want to show up. There was also a strike today, but this time we knew about it before hand and the professor came to class, which consisted totally of Gringos) and answered questions we had about the class. Classes are much more free form here, for our group projects, our topics can be anything that has to do with Latin American politics in the 20th century. Anything. There are no guidelines or rubrics.
I enjoy only having 4 assignments for the semester and a final exam because it cuts down on the busy work that I am often assigned in the U.S. It is a little worrying that my grade hinges on five presentations but I am sure I will be ok. It is also nice having class four days a week! I can’t imagine students in the U.S organizing a strike and the teachers being so supportive of it that they don’t show up for class. Así es Chile.

No comments:

Post a Comment